Southbound Barbecue’s Southern Pit Beans
- 4 Cans Pork & Beans Van Camp’s
- 1/2 Pound Bacon Applewood Smoked, Etc
- 1 1/2 Cup Southern Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Bell Pepper (Use Orange, Red, & Yellow) Diced, Total 1/4 Cup NOT Each
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Vidalia Onion Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Jalapeño Diced
- 4 Tspn Primo Pig Powder
- 1 Tblspn Bacon Grease
Dice Bell Pepper, Onion, & Jalapeño. Mince Garlic. Set aside
Dice raw bacon into small pieces to be mixed with pit beans, but DO NOT dice too small. Diced pieces should be larger than bacon-bits, but not so large they steal the show from the beans.
Fry bacon pieces to crispy consistency.
Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towels to cool.
RESERVE bacon grease – will be used to sauté veggies.
Open Pork & Beans – pour into heavy-bottom dutch oven or deep aluminum sheet tray. Set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon reserved bacon grease to frying pan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Once pan is heated through, add diced onion, bell pepper & jalapeño. Sauté for 2 – 3 minutes or until onions begin to change color.
Once onions begin to change color, add garlic to frying pan. Continue to stir to ensure garlic does not burn. Sauté all veggies until fragrant. Onions should take on a translucent appearance.
Pour sautéd veggies into beans set aside earlier. Add bacon.
- 2 Hour Preparation: Place, uncovered, on 225 – 250 degree smoker/pit for 90 minutes or until beans take on dark, rich burgundy color. Stir, serve!
- 1 Hour Preparation: Place, covered, into 350 degree oven for 30 – 60 minutes. Stir, serve!