Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwich w/ Southern Slaw
- Southern Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce by Southbound Barbecue
- Sucklebusters Hog Waller Pork Rub
- 5-6 lb Bone-in Pork Butt (aka “Boston Butt” or Pork Shoulder)
- 4 Sandwich Rolls or Hamburger Buns of choice
- 1 Bag mix Tricolor Slaw (Green Cabbage, Purple Cabbage, Carrots)
- 1 Cup Duke's Mayonnaise (sub any mayo)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Liberally season outside of Pork Butt with Sucklebusters Hog Waller Pork Rub until well coated on all sides. Preheat smoker to 230 °F and smoke until an Internal Temperature (IT) of 165 °F and bark has set. Tightly wrap in foil and place back on the smoker, increasing heat to 260 °F, and cook until the IT reaches 203 °F. Pull and let rest for 10 minutes, then place in cooler for 1 hr. Pull the pork butt by hand and cover until ready to serve.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the Water, Distilled White Vinegar, Rice Wine Vinegar, Honey, Sea Salt, Red Pepper Flakes, and bring to a simmer. Slice thin Red Onion and pack them in a mason jar. Remove pickling solution from heat and pour over Red Onion. Let pickle for 35-40 minutes, while mixture cools. Ready for use or store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine Tricolor Slaw with Apple Cider Vinegar, Mayonnaise, and Sour Cream. Mix well, season to taste with salt and pepper, cover and store in fridge until ready to serve.
- It’s time to build the sandwich! Coat the bun or roll with a bit of Duke’s Mayonnaise and toast, face down, on grill. Once bun or roll is toasted, top with slaw, pulled pork, pickled red onion, and drizzle Sweet Southern Heat BBQ Sauce over sandwich. Enjoy!!